Sunday, December 5, 2010

Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce


5 large beaten eggs (I use egg beaters)
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups cubed Italian bread (I used cracked wheat bread)
1 cup brown sugar (I used half brown sugar, half splenda)
1/4 cup butter softened (I use apple sauce)
1 cup chopped pecans (I use sliced almonds and craisins)
2 cups granulated sugar (do not use)
2 cups milk (I use 2 cans fat free sweetened condensed milk)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease 9x13 pan

Mix together eggs, condensed milk and vanilla. Pour over cubed bread and let stand for 10 minutes.

In another bowl mix together brown sugar, splenda, apple sauce, almonds and craisins.

Pour bread mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture on top.

Bake for 35 – 45 minutes or until set.

Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce

Caramel Sauce
1/2 can fat free sweetened condensed milk
4 tbsp. butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Cook in sauce pan on medium heat, stirring constantly. Let boil until bubbly. Remove from heat and let cool. Once sauce is cooled you can store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Heat before drizzling over bread pudding and ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment