Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Brie's Lasagna


My lasagna is always a little bit different but I follow the same general recipe each time. I don't measure any of the seasonings so you can go with what your family likes or what you prefer. I use garlic when it is for a potluck or something but don't use garlic at home since I am allergic.

Sauce
Meat of your choice (1 lb ground beef, 1 lb chicken or 1 lb ground turkey) -- I prefer chicken but it is really up to you.
2 large cans tomato sauce
1 lb mushrooms
2 medium onions
1 tbsp butter or olive oil (you decide)
3 large tomatoes
Oregano, garlic, black pepper, basil (season to taste)
Pinch of cayenne pepper (you decide the size of the pinch)

Saute mushrooms and chopped onions with 1 tbsp butter or olive oil. At the same time start the tomato sauce warming in a sauce pan. Add seasonings. Chop tomatoes and mix into warming sauce. Add mushrooms and onions once they are nicely sauteed (translucent in color). Brown meat of your choice and add to sauce once cooked. Simmer sauce for 30-60 minutes to get nicely seasoned.

Other ingredients
1 pkg whole wheat lasagna noodles
1 container light cottage cheese
1 8 oz pkg shredded cheese (I prefer 2% sharp cheddar or 2% mozzarella or a combo of the two)
Spinach (if you want to add, sometimes I do sometimes I don't)

Cook noodles according to package and set aside to cool.

Once sauce is done simmering begin to layer your lasagna. Sauce in first followed by a layer of noodles and a layer of sauce topped with your cheeses. Keep repeating layers until you reach the top of your pan. If you want to add spinach I layer throughout.

Bake 60 minutes at 350 degrees. Cover with tin foil for the first 45 minutes. Cook uncovered to melt your cheese to a golden brown for the last 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment